|Attention HBPA Horsemen: Scholarship Available Up to $6,000, Application Deadline April 15
(Lexington, Kentucky - January 25, 2011) - Available to children of horse farm and back stretch employees. Students can pursue any field of study. Scholarships are for tuition only, up to $6,000.00 per year for up to four years for an undergraduate student. Multiple scholarships will be awarded.
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must:
- be 24 years old or younger as of September 1 of the application year,
- have at least a 2.85 cumulative GPA,
- have an annual household income of less than $50,000 OR be financially independent from parents.*
Supporting materials that must be scanned and uploaded as PDF files include:
- Essay on ONE of the following three topics (Please limit essay response to 500 words or less.):
1) What was the last book you read for enjoyment only, not for a class, and why did you choose that book and what did you learn from it?
2) Tell us about a facet of Thoroughbred racing that interests you and why.
3) What interests do you have outside the equine industry or chosen career field?
- Two letters of recommendation (must be signed but not in sealed envelope);
- Current official transcript (seal can be broken);
- Student Aid Report (from FAFSA)
- If you have NOT received your Student Aid Report, you must submit either your parent/guardian's previous year’s tax return and current year’s W2 form OR the current year’s tax return. (Additional years may be requested.);
- Financial aid award letter(s) (including other scholarship awards).
Applicants apply online ONLY. Applications will be reviewed by The Race For Education Selection Committee and finalists contacted for a personal interview. Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Board of Directors, and all applicants will be notified by May 31st each year. Inquiries about the scholarships may be directed to The Race For Education at (859) 252-8648 or email@example.com.
*To be considered financially independent, a student must be at least 23 years old OR married OR a veteran OR an orphan OR have dependents of his or her own. Applicants who have been legally emancipated must provide documentation indicating such. No exceptions will be considered.
Click here to apply for a scholarship: http://stars.raceforeducation.org/STARS/default.aspx
Click here for other scholarships available: http://www.raceforeducation.org/scholarships/